Our goal is to use the films with controlled properties (mechanical, biochemical and topographical) as a platform to study cellular processes, including adhesion, motility and differentiation.
Skeletal muscle cells have the potentiality to differentiate in to different cell types, including myotubes and osteoblasts.
For this second differentiation pathway, we have optimized the conditions for loading the osteo-inductive growth factor BMP-2 (bone morphogenetic protein 2) in tunable amounts.
In parallel, studies have been performed on mouse embryonic stem cells in collaboration with M. Pucéat (INSERM, Evry, France).
We are currently investigating the signaling pathway of BMP-2 delivered in a matrix-bound manner from the layer-by-layer film. These studies are done in collaboration with Dr. C. Albigès-Rizo from IAB (Grenoble).
- Richert, L., Boulmedais, F., Lavalle., Ph., Mutterer, J., Ferreux, E., Decher, G., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., and C. Picart. Improvement of stability and cell adhesion properties of polyelectrolyte multilayer films by chemical cross-linking. Biomacromolecules, 5, 284-294, 2004.
- Schneider, A., Francius, G., Obeid, R., Schwinté, P., Frisch, B., Schaaf, P., Voegel, J-C., Senger, B., and C. Picart. Polyelectrolyte multilayers with a tunable Young's modulus : influence of film stiffness on cell adhesion. Langmuir, 22(3): 1193-1200, 2006.
- Ren, K., Crouzier, T., Roy, C., Picart, C. Polyelectrolyte multilayers of controlled stiffness modulate myoblast differentiation. Adv. Funct. Mat. 18, 1-12, 2008.
- Pozos Vasquez, C., Boudou, T., Dulong, V., Nicolas, C., Picart, C., Glinel, K. Variation of polyelectrolyte film stiffness by photo-crosslinking : a new way to control cell adhesion. Langmuir, 25:3556-3563, 2009.
- Crouzier, T., Ren, K., Nicolas, C., Roy, C., Picart. C. Layer-by-layer films as a biomimetic reservoir for rhBMP2 delivery : controlled differentiation of myoblasts to osteoblasts. Small, 5:598-608, 2009.
- Blin, G., Lablack, N., Louis-Tisserand, M., Nicolas, C, Picart, C. and M. Pucéat. Nanoscale control of the cellular environment to drive embryonic stem cells self-renewal and fate, Biomaterials, 31:1742-50, 2010.
- Ren, K., Fourel, L., Gauthier-Rouvière, C., Albigès-Rizo, C., and C. Picart. Manipulation of the adhesive behavior of skeletal muscle cells on soft and stiff polyelectrolyte multilayer films. Acta Biomaterialia, 6:4238; 2010.
- Boudou, T., Crouzier, T., Ren, K., Blin, G. and C. Picart. Multiple functionalities of polyelectrolyte multilayer films : new biomedical applications. Advanced Materials, 22:441-467, 2010.
- Crouzier, L., Fourel, L., Boudou, T., Albiges-Rizo, C. and C. Picart. Presentation of BMP-2 from a soft biopolymeric film unveils its activity on cell adhesion and migration, Adv. Mat. 23:H111-H118, 2011.
Dr. Karine Glinel, UCL Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium
Date of update April 7, 2012